Reason Alliance, Ltd., was formed in 2014 by directors Malcolm Jarry and Douglas Mesner, founders of The Satanic Temple (TST). The non-profit was set up to encourage reason and empathy, reject tyrannical authority, promote justice, and advocate pragmatic common sense. We support activities that promote these core values.
Our tenets are our guiding principles, designed to inspire nobility in action and thought:
- One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.
- The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
- One’s body is inviolable and subject to one’s own will alone.
- We must respect the freedoms of others, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.
- Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We must take care to never distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
- People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm caused.
- The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written and spoken word.
The Origins of Reason Alliance
As TST does not believe religious organizations should be tax exempt, founders Malcolm Jarry and Douglas Mesner created a separate non-profit entity for donors to contribute money and receive a tax exemption. The entity fulfills the mission of promoting secular humanistic values as well as the core beliefs of TST which defend individual sovereignty and reject autocratic authority.
Check out this link to read about TST in the media.